Serondella Game Lodge is a small and intimate 4 star lodge situated in theThornybush Private Game Reserve in the Greater Kruger National Park.
** Family friendly Lodge **
Why Serondella Game Lodge?
- Small and intimate, accommodating just 8 guests
- Perfect for families travelling or small groups
- Fantastic game viewing and overlooking an animal watering hole
- Children welcome with a lovely children ranger program for the younger guests
- A photographer’s delight, with top class game viewing and photo opportunities
As this lodge only has four suites in total, it is a perfect lodge for small groups or families travelling together.
Situated on the banks of a tributary to the dry Monwana River, Serondella Game Lodge hosts three luxury suites and one family suite – all with excellent views from the bedrooms and bathroom large windows over the animal watering hole.
The family suite consists of three suites in one self contained unit, with two downstairs rooms and one suite upstairs. An open fire place warms up a reception room which is situated between the two downstairs rooms.
An exclusive Boma, Bar area close to the Lodges swimming pool makes for an ideal venue for rest and refreshment. The Lodge is perfectly located and set amongst a wide variety of tress providing shade and an abundance of bird life.
The Place of the Elephant
With the added option of a three-bedroom family suite and elevated viewing hides, Serondella Lodge is an ideal safari destination for families and photographers alike.
Here in the riverine forests on the banks of a tributary of the Monwana watercourse in the heart of the Thornybush Nature Reserve are three carefully designed suites, in addition to the optional family suite, accommodating a maximum of eight guests ensuring guests complete privacy and stunning vistas.
The viewing hides allow bird lovers an excellent opportunity to encounter the game reserve’s 507 different species of bird as well as regular visits by other animals.
The fact that Serondella can accommodate a maximum of eight means that guests will have the hosts undivided attention for the duration of their stay. Surprise bush and boma dinners as well as intimate sunset dinners for two on the viewing hides are the very least the astute guest can expect from Serondella Lodge.
Serondella means the place of the elephant and they are habitual patrons to the lodge’s two flanking waterholes, allowing excellent opportunities for spectacular photographs and videos from the comfort of the lodge’s lounge or suites.
- Three suites and one family suite with three bedrooms (eight guests)
- Curio shop
- Elevated viewing hides
- Children under 12 are welcome
A Typical Day on a Safari
The day starts as dawn breaks over the African bushveld. After your early morning wake up call, coffee, tea & rusks are served on the main deck overlooking the riverbed. Shortly after, you depart in your open Land Rover with your experienced Rangers and Trackers who will share their extensive knowledge of the bush with you. These drives are undertaken at times best suited for game viewing which vary depending on the season but typically start early morning. Where applicable you may be invited out of the vehicle to see tracks, examine certain plants and follow spoor.
After an exhilarating hunt for tracks to see what the animals have been up to during the night, and tracking down whatever you find, you will stop somewhere out in the bush for a break of coffee & tea. Time to stretch your legs whilst having your sunglasses cleaned & indulge in cool towels in summer, and hot towels in winter. In winter, we keep our guests warm on the vehicle with hot water bottles & warm blankets.
After a sumptuous Breakfast is served either back at the camp or in the riverbed or bush, guests are offered walks to suit their interests and fitness levels and are accompanied by an armed ranger and tracker. Walks allow guests a better chance to see some of the smaller creatures of the bush as well as an opportunity to learn more about the flora and fauna of the region & to have a chance to follow tracks in more detail.
Our Shangaan trackers will enthrall you with their explanations of the medicinal and other uses of the numerous plants and trees along with tales of traditional folklore.
The rest of the day is spent at the discretion of the guest for other activities that we offer, with a delicious lunch being served around 1.30pm.
The afternoon game drive is preceded by high tea and extends into the evening to view seldom seen nocturnal species by torchlight.
Upon returning for a gourmet 3 course dinner, either in the boma, bush or lodge – guests can socialise with a cognac, single malt or cigar around the campfire or lounge before returning to bed for another day’s adventure.
Where possible, safaris will be tailored to suit individual preferences and interest.
Children at Thornybush Game Reserve
The Thornybush Collection; prides itself on actively welcoming children of all ages at Thornybush Game Lodge and Serondella. The other smaller lodges will accept children provided that the family book sole use of the camp.
Children at Thornybush Game Lodge have a special program prepared for them prior to their arrival that includes:
- Children are allocated to specific rangers who enjoy interaction with younger guests.
- They receive a complimentary children’s pack on arrival, which will keep them entertained and occupied during their stay.
- Rat packs (cold drinks/cookies) are sent with them on game drives.
- Drives and activities can be tailored to suit children’s Interests and attention span.
- Walks are designed to ensure that their safety is taken into account and that they experience activities they might not normally do in the city.
- Meal requirements and venues are provided if required by parents.
- Baby sitters and child minders are available (At additional Cost).
Some of the activities we offer Children:
- Picnics Next To The Pool – Packed lunch including sandwiches and Fruit, eaten on a blanket, next to the pool.
- Educational Walks With Rangers – Short walks with their own ranger.
- Pointing out insects, tracks of animals, trees and interesting facts.
- Treasure Hunt – Children have to find clues around the lodge using books from the library, to get to their treasure (a little something supplied by parents).
Children also get “Ranger in Training Packs”. They contain:
- Canvas Back Pack
- Colouring Book
- Safari Interactive Toy To Assist The Little “Ranger In Training”