Benguerra Island: Azura
The Bazaruto Marine National Park consists of five islands – Santa Carolina (also known as Paradise Island), Bazaruto, Benguerra, Magaruque and Bangue. The archipelago offers some of the world’s best snorkelling, diving and big game fishing. The islands are pristine in their natural beauty and diverse ecologies. The coral reefs are profuse with a diversity of tropical fish and turtles, and are amongst the most pristine in the Western Indian Ocean. Dolphins are seen year round and whales are seasonal visitors to the Archipelago. The park is also home to the last viable population of dugong on the east African coast.
Azura Benguerra Island is the second biggest island in the chain and is approximately 55 km² in extent. However, this ensures that guests enjoy ample privacy within an idyllic unspoilt island paradise surrounded by magnificent beaches and, further out, pristine coral reefs. The Island, declared a National Park in 1971 sustains a varied array of fauna and flora including natural forest, savannah, dunes and wetland eco-systems. The unique freshwater lakes on the island are indeed a reminder of ancient times when the island was part of the mainland. In these lakes you’ll see crocodiles lolling around, while a myriad of birds inhabit the surrounding bush. (Specials include the gorgeous Narina Trogon, the skulking Green Malkoha and Plain (Blue-throated) Sunbird).
Azura – 5 *****
Built entirely by hand by the local community and operated in partnership with them, it has just 15 villas, each with their own infinity pool and designed for both pampering and barefoot escapism. With wonderful Mozambican cuisine and friendly service, a vast range of activities and experiences including scuba diving, deep sea fishing, stargazing and a unique African Spa, you have the perfect undiscovered island getaway.
The villas blend modern chic with all that is traditional in Mozambique. The creature comforts you would expect from a luxury boutique resort are there, set off by locally sourced wooden beams and traditional artwork beneath a thatched roof. Each is just footsteps from the beach, yet designed with seclusion in mind. Nestled amidst indigenous gardens, Azura have created their own sanctuary.
You’ll have a dedicated Mozambican host to look after you during your stay. They’ll take care of all your needs, including serving your meals, arranging activities and joining you on excursions. They are part of Azura’s commitment to the community.
All 15 villas have the following facilities: air-conditioning and fans, king size bed and oversize mosquito net, hairdryers, indoor & outdoor showers, large bathroom with bathtub offering sea views, separate toilet, mini bar, tea and coffee facilities, undercover deck with daybed and dining facilities, Mozambican host service, sun deck, beachside sala.
Azura has 3 Luxury Beach Villas, furnished in contemporary style and just steps from the beach. The Luxury Beach villas have 100 m2 under roof, 650 m2 private area and a private plunge pool (2m x 3m x 1.2m deep).
Azura has 11 Infinity Beach Villas. They are furnished in contemporary style and look out over a stunning infinity pool towards the beach and sea beyond. They have the best of our beachfront locations. Additional facilities to the above mentioned are 110 m2 under roof and 650 m2 private area, private 5 metre infinity pool (5m x 2.5m x 1.4m deep) and IPod docking stations.
The Presidential Villa has been significantly enhanced and upgraded. With 425 m2 under roof it features the following:
- Complete privacy with its own beachfront location and amazing views towards Bazaruto Dune
- Huge split level master suite with king size bed, sitting area, massive bathroom with panoramic
- Free-form bath, separate toilet, his & hers indoor and outdoor showers, and air-conditioning.
- Second beachfront bedroom with the same gorgeous layout as our existing Infinity Beach Villas
- Third small en-suite bedroom suitable for bodyguards/nannies/pilots/guides or children
- All linked by wooden walkways and screened by natural indigenous vegetation
- Stylish separate lounge area with fireplace, flat screen TV, DVD and Bose Sound Dock
- Dining area with feature star shaped roof and ‘wine bar’
- Tree house lounging area
- 16 m infinity edged swimming pool spanning the front of the villa
- Private kitchen with personal chef
- Guest toilet
- Extensive decking, relaxation areas and beach salas
- Maximum occupancy 6 people including children
This 2 bedroom en-suite villa is located at the western end of the property, and offers more than 185 m2 under roof. It is perfect for families or a couple requiring more of a private residence feel, and represents excellent value when occupied by 4 people.
- Master bedroom with king size bed, indoor/outdoor feel with doors opening up on 2 sides of the room
- Two lounging decks, ensuite bathroom with freeform bath, indoor and outdoor showers, air-conditioning.
- Second en suite bedroom with twin beds, sitting area, feature indoor/outdoor bathroom, look through
- Sea view and air-conditioning
- Lounge area with flat screen TV, DVD, Bose Sound Dock and selection of games, opening onto
- Extensive decking, dining and relaxation areas, including a ‘wine bar’
- 10 m fully tiled swimming pool
- Large beachfront garden with daybeds and hammock, wonderful views of the sea and sunset
- Guest toilet
- Small kitchenette
- All the normal Azura design touches and finishes
- Maximum occupancy 4 people including children
Additional facilities include: 275m2 under roof, 1075m2 private area, large infinity pool and Jacuzzi, twin beds in second bedroom can be converted to king size, extra large bathroom, IPod docking stations, extensive sundeck, daybeds and beach sala.
Wander in and out as you please. Find a quiet corner to read a book, or a place to share the stories of your day with others. Sip champagne on the beach with your feet in the sand, or snack on fresh sushi in the Star Bar, which showcases the magnificence of the skies above you.
Learn more about the environment you are in, or browse our collection of handcrafted artefacts, designer clothing and jewellery (own range by world famous designer David Shilling) at the Trading Store. The mod cons are there too if you need them, with TV and internet discreetly tucked away in our library. Our staff is always on hand to look after your every need.
Padi Gold Palm dive centre with all new scubapro equipment. Full range of instructional courses from discover scuba upwards. Dedicated water sports centre with 9m long training pool. DAN equipped 8m diving rib. Varied and interesting reefs with several species of turtle, dolphins, shark, pelagics, moray eels, eagle rays and a wonderful array of reef fish and corals.
The famous aquarium at 2 mile reef. Nearby Ponto Dundo. Big Game Fishing: Some of the world’s best fishing for Marlin, Sailfish and Tuna. Fully equipped speciality big game fishing boat. Tag and release policy
Salt water fly fishing:
Azura has its own specialist instructors from beginner to advanced. Giant Trevally (GT’s) up to 50kg a speciality year round.
Pansy island visits:
This island emerges from the sea at low tide. Take a picnic and look for pansy shells
Time stands still as your butler/host will serve you snacks and drinks on our 40 foot traditional dhow as the sun goes down.
There are land based activities too. Take a tour of the island, and experience the local culture. Climb the dunes, some of which are scattered with the remnants of ancient Arab pottery. Visit the island’s lakes and spot a crocodile or two. Discover the local fauna and flora. Take a long walk and we will meet you with a picnic. Or join one of our star gazing events and lie back and listen to the ancient African stories that chart the cosmos. The view of the stars and Milky Way from Azura is quite spectacular.
- Unique African spa
- Land Rover Island drives
- Cultural encounters
- Bird watching
- Beach picnics
- Star gazing
- Day trips to Vilanculos
- Exercise gym (from June 2008)
Special children and teen activities now available including:
- Marine life walk
- Learn to snorkel
- Bubblemaker – learn to dive
- Azura school project visit
- Junior star gazing & Astronomy
- Dhow picnic
- Kite flying
- Cookies in the kitchen
- Azura African day spa treatments for children under 12.
Please ask your consultant for detailed information.
- Prices include local beers and spirits, house wines, tea & coffee and soft drinks, all meals other than in villa dining and beach picnics.
- Rates also include: Mozambican Butler/Host Service, 15 minute refresher back and neck massage on arrival (subject to availability), bottle of sparkling wine chilled in the room, Land Rover Island Drive, Sunset Dhow cruise, EVAC Medical Insurance.
- Various Honeymoon special treats (for Honeymooners).
- Island transfers: Vilanculos to Benguerra Island operated by helicopter (6-seater).
- Children are welcome. Villa Amizade and Presidential Villa are particularly suited for families. Presidential Villa takes maximum 6 people including children and Villa Amizade takes maximum 4 people including children. In the Infinity Beach Villas and Luxury Beach villas only one child can share with two adults.