The Peech is a 16-room luxury eco-hotel in Johannesburg’s upmarket suburb of Melrose. The boutique hotel specialises in offering personalised service & a chic atmosphere. The rooms are spread over the hotel’s one acre garden and offer contemporary design with the latest technology (free WiFi, iPod docking stations & Plasma TV). The hotel also features a well-known bistro restaurant and champagne bar. Described as “Contemporary, edgy and Afrocentric” by Condé Nast Traveller and nominated as Africa’s leading Boutique hotel (World Travel Awards 2009), this is the ideal hangout for trendy travellers in the hunt for something out of the ordinary.
The Peech has sixteen bedrooms and suites located in the house and gardens.
The garden rooms overlook lush gardens and have a private patio or balcony. The rooms are modern and edgy with an indigenous, African feel. Crisp white sheets and nguni skins give the rooms a chic, natural feel. iPod docking stations, plasma TVs, WiFi and low energy air-conditioning ensure they are up-to-date. The bathrooms have Hans Grohe fittings, ‘Raindance’ showers and Molton Brown amenities.
The garden suites are our newest and ‘chicest’ rooms. The rooms are over 60m2 and feature large bathrooms and an in-room hanging chair with views over the gardens. The rooms have a private patio / garden. They are also most ‘eco’ rooms – with solar geysers and grey water recycling.
The house rooms are in the old residence of the property and feature the original oregon wooden flooring. The rooms are spacious and have been fully modernised. They can be adjoined across a landing for families or private groups.
BISTRO AND CHAMPAGNE BAR
Bistro@ThePeech is the hotel’s chic bistro restaurant overlooking the pool & gardens. Adjoining, is a champagne bar with a wide range of champagnes and local sparkling wines.
Head chef Greg Jardim’s focus is on flavour and polished simplicity: “I’ve tried to create a menu that reflects what The Peech is all about: simple, laid-back and chic with an understated touch of sophistication. All dishes are designed to use only the freshest seasonal ingredients.”
The bistro is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, to outside guests as well.
Guests on business are provided with complimentary wireless internet access, informal meeting areas, a hi-tech boardroom accommodating up to 20 delegates and a central location to the business districts of Rosebank, Sandton, Illovo & Melrose Arch.
The Peech is committed to operating a sustainable hotel & wants a stay at The Peech to have as small an impact as possible on the environment. By renovating an existing structure and introducing eco-friendly solutions like solar water heating, and grey water recycling, The Peech hopes to set an example for other hotels and industries in South Africa.
- The hotel has over 90 square meters of green space per hotel guest. The hotel’s footprint has been kept to a minimum with expansive green space for guests to relax in.
- The hotel has solar water heating throughout the hotel – guest rooms, kitchen and laundry cutting electricity usage by a third.
- The Garden suites have a grey water recycling. This provides water for garden irrigation cutting down on use of chlorinated municipal water.
- The rooms have double-layer insulation to reduce heat in summer and heat-loss in winter.
- The hotel uses ecological detergents and cleaning agents in the hotel and kitchen.
- The hotel has an on-site water bottling facility that provides drinking water for the bistro & rooms. This cuts out waste from plastic bottles and avoids the need for water deliveries.
- The bistro grows some of its own herbs & vegetables keeping food deliveries down and the kitchen stocked with organic ingredients. • The hotel recycles as much as is possible in South Africa – cans, paper, cardboard, glass & kitchen oil.
OUTDOORS & EXPLORING
The hotel has a swimming pool in the one acre garden and loungers and hammocks for contemplating life.
Tours can easily be arranged with the hotel’s drivers to Johannesburg’s main attractions: Township tours of Soweto, The Apartheid Museum & Constitution Hill.
The hotel is located in the upmarket suburb of Melrose, in the north of the city. Sandton, the city’s business hub, is ten minutes away. Rosebank is five minutes. Melrose Arch is even nearer! The airport, O R Tambo International, is 35 minutes by car. The hotel will also be five minutes from the new Gautrain station.
- Complimentary WiFi
- Bistro@ThePeech – contemporary bistro & champagne bar
- Swimming pool & gardens
- Fully equipped boardroom
- Gym (private access to adjacent Planet Fitness Gym)
AWARDS & AFFILIATIONS
World Travel Awards 2009 Nominee – Africa’s Leading Boutique Hotel TGCSA rating 4 Star ‘Hotel’ Chic Retreats Member (www.chicretreats.com)