Thornybush Waterside Lodge is a 5 star Private Game Lodge, situated in the private Thornybush Concession, in the Greater Kruger National Park
** Child Friendly Lodge **
Why Thornybush Waterside Lodge ?
- Superlative game viewing in one of the best game reserves in South Africa
- Family friendly offering an excellent children’s program
- Game Drives in open safari vehicles twice daily
- Optional Bush Walks
- An abundance of game including the Big Five, making this the ideal safari destination for couples and familes alike
With breath-taking views of the African Bush, and over-looking a tranquil lake – this 5 star luxury lodge provides the ultimate of relaxation and luxury whilst enjoying your African Safari.
The lodge has been designed to blend into the natural habitat located along pathways surrounded by an abundance of trees and manicured gardens.
The size of the Lodge is ideal for special gatherings, affording privacy for individual couples, families looking to engage in bush activities with the lodges unique Children’s programme or smaller groups.
.The lodges 20 comfortably appointed air-conditioned Thatched Suites blend into the natural habitat and are located along pathways surrounded by an abundance of trees and manicured gardens. En-suite air- conditioned accommodation tastefully decorated by crisp white bedding. Accommodation caters for a maximum of 40 people collectively. Highly skilled rangers and trackers ensure Big 5 game viewing opportunities during dawn and dusk safaris, whilst bushwalks are for the more adventurous. Guests are invited to relax and take in the African surrounds after breakfast on the main deck area overlooking the lake, the swimming pool or alternatively retreat to the comfort of your suite.
Each Suite has an en-suite bathroom, indoor shower and private deck area. 2 Suites share an inter-leading door ideal for families travelling with children.
• Mini Bar
• Safe in room
• Separate Bath and Shower
• Tea and coffee making facilities
A TYPICAL DAY ON SAFARI
The day starts as dawn breaks over the African bushveld. After your early morning wakeup call, coffee, tea & rusks are served on the main deck overlooking the riverbed. Shortly after, you depart in your open Land Rover with your experienced Rangers and Trackers who will share their extensive knowledge of the bush with you. These drives are undertaken at times best suited for game viewing which vary depending on the season but typically start early morning. Where applicable you may be invited out of the vehicle to see tracks, examine certain plants and follow spoor.
After an exhilarating hunt for tracks to see what the animals have been up to during the night, and tracking down whatever you find, you will stop somewhere out in the bush for a break of coffee & tea. Time to stretch your legs whilst having your sunglasses cleaned & indulge in cool towels in summer, and hot towels in winter. In winter, we keep our guests warm on the vehicle with hot water bottles & warm blankets.
After a sumptuous Breakfast is served either back at the camp or in the riverbed or bush, guests are offered walks to suit their interests and fitness levels and are accompanied by an armed ranger and tracker.
Walks allow guests a better chance to see some of the smaller creatures of the bush as well as an opportunity to learn more about the flora and fauna of the region & to have a chance to follow tracks in more detail.
Our Shangaan trackers will enthral you with their explanations of the medicinal and other uses of the numerous plants and trees along with tales of traditional folklore.
The rest of the day is spent at the discretion of the guest for other activities that we offer, with a delicious lunch being served around 1.30pm.
The afternoon game drive is preceded by high tea and extends into the evening to view seldom seen nocturnal species by torchlight.
Upon returning for a gourmet 3 course dinner, either in the boma, bush or lodge – guests can socialise with a cognac, single malt or cigar around the campfire or lounge before returning to bed for another day’s adventure.
Where possible, safaris will be tailored to suit individual preferences and interest.
CHILDREN AT THORNYBUSH GAME RESERVE
The Thornybush Collection; prides itself on actively welcoming children of all ages at Thornybush Game Lodge and Serondella. The other smaller lodges will accept children provided that the family book sole use of the camp.
Children at Thornybush Game Lodge have a special program prepared for them prior to their arrival that includes:
• Children are allocated to specific rangers who enjoy interaction with younger guests.
• They receive a complimentary children’s pack on arrival, which will keep them entertained and occupied during their stay.
• Rat packs (cold drinks/cookies) are sent with them on game drives.
• Drives and activities can be tailored to suit children’s Interests and attention span.
• Walks are designed to ensure that their safety is taken into account and that they experience activities they might not normally do in the city.
• Meal requirements and venues are provided if required by parents.
• Baby sitters and child minders are available (At additional Cost).
Some of the activities we offer Children:
• Picnics Next To The Pool – Packed lunch including sandwiches and Fruit, eaten on a blanket, next to the pool.
• Educational Walks With Rangers – Short walks with their own ranger .
• Pointing out insects, tracks of animals, trees and interesting facts.
• Treasure Hunt – Children have to find clues around the lodge using books from the library, to get to their treasure (a little something supplied by parents).
Children also get “Ranger in Training Packs”. They contain…
• Canvas Back Pack
• Colouring Book
• Safari Interactive Toy To Assist The Little “Ranger In Training”