Bisate Lodge Rwanda
Place: Bisate Lodge has dramatic views of the Bisoke and Karisimbi volcano peaks rising through the forests of nearby Volcanoes National Park. It is within easy driving distance of Park Headquarters, from where once-in-a-lifetime gorilla treks depart daily. Exploring around Bisate includes community visits, birding, golden monkey tracking, and helping reforest the area, Gorilla Guardian Village, the Twin Lakes of Ruhondo and Burera, and Dian Fossey’s grave.
Accommodation: Six opulent en-suite forest villas are warmed by a central fireplace and have breathtaking views from the deck. The main area comprises a lounge, dining and bar area, wine cellar and viewing deck. Both the architecture and interiors are rooted in Rwandan cultural traditions.
Purpose: The aim of Bisate is to be a model of sustainable ecotourism in Rwanda. Its reforestation and rehabilitation project has each guest partnering with us in contributing to conservation and local community upliftment, with a positive impact on the iconic endangered mountain gorilla.
Unique Selling Points
- Best place for a meaningful and informed gorilla experience
- The most innovative, responsible, visionary and luxurious lodge adjacent to Volcanoes National Park
- Reforestation, community engagement and interactions all create an enriched experience
Bisate’s sophisticated architectural and interior design is rooted in Rwandan building tradition as exemplified in the design of the Royal Palace of the traditional monarch. This spherical, synthetic thatched structure echoes the thousands of hills that dot the Rwandan landscape, while the richly detailed interior exhibits surfaces and screens made from a variety of woven materials with strong resonance in Rwandan culture.
Each 91 square metre Forest Villa consists of a generous yet intimate combination of bedroom, reception space and bathroom, all warmed by a central fireplace and with breath taking views out across your private deck towards Mount Bisoke. With only six villas, the real generosity in the Rwandan context is the amount of private and exclusive space that surrounds Bisate, cosseting it in a rare natural landscape brimming with Albertine Rift biodiversity and beauty.
This camp can accommodate 12 guests and 04 guide/pilot/tour leaders sharing.
– En-suite facilities with indoor shower, bathtub and double basin vanity, separate toilet, fireplace, easy chairs, luggage rack, tea and coffee making facilities, electronic safe and mini-bar.
– Complimentary wireless internet connection in villa only.
– Two way emergency radios have been fitted in the villas at Bisate Lodge and may be used by guests to contact camp management in the event of an emergency only. Said radios are on a closed circuit and inter-villa communication is not available.
– Bathrobes, liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner, body lotion, insect repellent, shower caps, vanity kit with cotton tipped swabs and cotton balls, tissue dispenser, washing powder (for smalls), umbrella and room spray are supplied in each villa.
Meet the Community
Guided visit to the nearby community and members of the cooperative, including the farmers who cultivate and sell their vegetables to Bisate.
Gorilla trekking takes place from Volcanoes National Park headquarters where guests are allocated to one of the twelve habituated gorilla groups for a one-hour encounter.
Gold Monkey Trekking
View this beautifully-coloured primate, which is endemic to the area and lives in groups of up to 30 individuals in the Park’s bamboo forest.
Guided Walks in Volcanoes National Park
A full-day guided hike to the summit of Mount Bisoke (3 711m) can be strenuous but is worth the effort, offering sweeping views of the rainforest and crater lake
Nursery visit and Tree Planting
Bisate’s agronomist, Jean-Moise, will show you around his tree nursery and help you plant a sapling as part of our reforestation project.
Hike to Dian Fossey’s Grave and Karisoke
A spectacular, challenging hike to Dian Fossey’s grave and the ruins of her Karisoke Research Centre, set in the saddle of Bisoke and Karisimbi volcanoes at an elevation of some 3 000 metres.
More Rwanda & Uganda Accommodation
Don’t believe us, read independent reviews from past clients.
AFRICAN SAFARI SPECIALISTS
Let us design your African safari with a variety of safari destinations – Our expertise includes travel and safaris in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Kenya and Tanzania.
African Welcome Safaris offers a highly personalised service. With a dedicated travel consultant catering to all your travel needs. Our passion is creating your holiday of a lifetime.